No matter what side of the border you’re on, the long weekend is synonymous with lots of outdoor grilling! While enjoying the outdoors and schmoozing with family and friends, it’s sometimes difficult to stay true to your own nutritional values, especially when you aren’t the host.
Never fear… Libby is here! I’ve compiled a list of 5 things that you should and can easily avoid this weekend:
- Grilled corn on the cob – This ones an easy one because unless it is certified organic (and even then I question things), it is GMO. There’s a reason that Hungary banned GMO then set fire to over 1000 acres of corn that were found to be GMO. A Monsanto corn study in France found tumors and organ damage in rats fed GMO corn. ‘Nuff said. (source)
- Conventional, ‘Natural’ and even Organic Weiners – Look for additives such as sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, sodium erythorbate, sodium phosphate, sodium diacetate. These are added to meat to add ‘flavor’, to preserve or to expedite curing. Be weary of even the ‘Natural’ or Organic weiners with Celery Seed Extract/Juice or Cultured Celery Extract. This is their way of sneaking in nitrates because it contains high levels of nitrates.
- Veggie Burgers/Dogs – Other than the obvious soy overload in these babies, they can include ingredients like: Canola (vegetable) oil-GMO, Corn (in variations)-GMO, Hydrolyzed soy protein (AKA MSG), Carageenan, the list is endless really.
- Cole Slaw and Potato Salad – These festive staples are made with a mayo dressing. Guess what….store bought (even ‘natural’) mayo is made with cheap oils (soy and/or canola). These ‘franken-oils’ are GMO and damaging to your health.
- Conventional Ice Cream – I know this one can be tough on a hot day amidst friends (a little won’t hurt right?), but stay strong! Other than the obvious questionable quality of the milk, conventional ice cream is packed with additives such as carageenan, soybean oil, and corn syrup. Even the ‘gourmet’ ice creams like Ben and Jerry’s are loaded with additives. Beware of organic ice cream as well, as it too can be packed with organic corn starch, carageenan etc…
Don’t fret though, there’s still plenty to enjoy at your cook out! If not, bring your own! Your body will thank you! 🙂
This post is also shared with: Create with Joy, My Sweet and Savory, Natural Living Mamma, Flour me with Love, Nourishing Treasures, Homegrown and Healthy, Alderberry Hill, Homemaker on a Dime, Our Delightful Home, Skip to my Lou, Our 4 Kiddos, Real Food Forager, Nap Time Creations, A Humble Bumble, Sarah Lynn’s Sweets, An Oregon Cottage, This Chick Cooks, Intoxicated on Life, Tessa the Domestic Diva, Gastronomical Sovereignty, Family Home and Life, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Thank Your Body, My Cultured Palate, Domesblissity, Miz Helen’s Country Kitchen, Jill’s Home Remedies, The Self Sufficient Home Acre, Chocolate Chocolate and More, Everything Home with Carol, All Our Days, The Shabby Nest, Ann Kroeker, The Veggie Nook, Joy in my Kitchen, Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Home Maid Simple, xoxo Rebecca
Hop on over and see what else tickles your fancy 🙂