Seriously. Who doesn’t like pudding? Better yet, who would turn away pudding for breakfast? What if I told you that THIS pudding is as nutritious as it is tasty and easy to make. Need I say more?
Flax seeds are an essential part of this pudding. Flaxseeds are high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids (Ex. ALA), as well as phytochemicals called lignans. Studies have shown that eating flaxseed daily helps lower blood cholesterol. The fiber in flaxseed may also help improve blood sugar in people with Type 2 diabetes.
As a side note, when a recipe calls for milled flax, it’s always best to buy the seeds and grind them up as needed. Ground flax has the potential to go rancid quickly. I always store my flax seeds in the refrigerator to preserve their freshness so I’m always astounded when I see bags of milled flax on supermarket shelves at room temperature. Eeek!
- 6 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 cups milk (nut milk or coconut milk works too). Make your own**
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Chopped fresh fruit/berries, yogurt to serve (optional)
- Grind flaxseeds (I use my Magic Bullet).
- Heat milk (I always keep it below 105' to maintain the integrity of raw) then stir in ground flax.
- Remove from heat and stir until it thickens and becomes pudding like.
- Stir in mashed banana, honey and cinnamon.
- Pour into serving cups and refrigerate overnight.
- Add chopped fresh fruit and yogurt prior to serving.
- Enjoy this uber nutritious start to your day!
**Make your own nutmilk and coconut milk