Pancakes have always been a feature of our Sunday morning breaky. I do have to say though, that the humble pancake has gone through many a transition at our house over the years!
What began as a box mix, transitioned to a home made white flour batter, then became a ‘healthier’ whole wheat based batter. We then transitioned to spelt, then soaked spelt, then…this could go on forever! To make a loooong story short, we are currently off grains of any sort (more on that later), so I had to come up with a grain free variety of our favorite Sunday breakfast food.
I hope you like what is now a highly requested breakfast over in these parts. In fact, because these are SO easy to whip up, they even make an appearance on Non Sundays! 🙂
- 2 medium-large bananas - ripened
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1-3 tbsp coconut flour *see note
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (optional)
- Coconut oil for frying
- In a medium bowl mash bananas with a fork. I like to leave them a bit chunky.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix together well.
- Heat a pan on med-low heat and add coconut oil (be generous and ensure the entire pan is coated).
- Using a tablespoon or a small ice cream scoop (my pick!) plop down the batter and press down with the back of a spoon. The batter should sizzle a little. If not, heat pan a little longer.
- Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom has caramelized slightly and is easily removed with a spatula. Flip and repeat.
**You will need to keep the pan well oiled.
*Because the sizes of bananas vary, you may need to stir in a little more coconut flour if there appears to be a lot of moisture remaining. The trick is to absorb as much of the moisture as possible to allow for easy frying and flipping.
These blueberry pancakes may just become your new favorite pancake recipe! Enjoy and sign up for my free newsletter to be the first to receive great recipes and health info!
**UPDATE: Since having made these pancakes hundreds of times, our favorite alternative to blueberries is these dairy-free Chocolate Chips. Banana AND chocolate is spectacular!