Spring break is over in these parts and I do have to say that my house will not miss having all the kids home. Now… I’m not one for the ‘museum’ minimalist look, in fact I always say that my house has a ‘lived in’ kind of feel, but it definitely needs a post-spring break shake down. This is even too ‘lived in’ by my standards! 😛
With school back in comes the morning rush and one of my favorite ways to get a big nutritional hit into the family is a morning smoothie. My smoothie repertoire is constantly changing but we do have a few faves that make a frequent appearance, one being this Peppermint Power Smoothie that my sister (an avocado-aholic) created and shared with me a while back. It packs a huge nutritional punch because I use only real food. No chalky protein powers, no synthetic vitamins. Only real food. Why not give it a whirl? Once you have, please let me know what you think.
- 1 cup of liquid base. I suggest either raw milk, kefir, DIY almond milk, DIY coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado *These babies are a nutritional gold mine! They contain potassium, B6, Vitamins A, E & B, healthy fats, protein and they are easily digestible!
- 1 cup of greens that are then steamed (I like to use spinach or kale)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs *These are a super source of magnesium, they also contain fiber, iron & antioxidants
- 1 tbsp Camu C Powder (optional) *This is a food based Vitamin C supplement (I use this one)
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds (these will gelatinize your smoothie, so only add them if you are going to drink it immediately) *I like to add these because they contain plenty of fiber, manganese & protein
- 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract
- Add all ingredients to a high powered blender and mix around until smooth.
- Pour into a cool looking glass and enjoy!
This power house is also shared with: This Gal Cooks, Natural Living Mamma, Real Food Forager