Tea. As you may know, I <3 my morning cup of tea. Seriously, I will drop pretty much anything to have tea with a girlfriend or by myself for that matter! It’s my sweet snippet of daily peace! I’ve never been a coffee drinker but I hear all you coffee drinkers say that your day doesn’t start before your morning cup of joe, well my day pauses when I have my tea. My current fave? Buttered Matcha Chai Tea!
I’ve gone through many phases of my tea obsession and my home tea collection is extensive! The hubs always jokes that I need a pantry just for my tea, and well…I think he may be right! I tend to go through phases of tea crushes however. My crush may translate into months of only green tea (Gunpowder, Sencha, Matcha etc…) to Rooibos to my current fave…Buttered Matcha Chai Tea! With most everything, I also like to get as much bang for my buck as possible so I kick my cup of tea to the next level with BUTTER! This tea is so frothy and delicious that you too are going to become obsessed!
Why should I add butter to my tea?
I need to begin by saying that not all butter is created equal. When choosing butter it is important to select grassfed, pastured butter as all the claims below only apply to grassfed butter.
Grassfed butter contains:
- the right fats to regulate cholesterol and NOT add to it as we’ve been conventionally told. Its ratio of omega 6 to 3 fatty acids is near perfect and it reduces inflammation, guards against Type 2 diabetes and may help protect from heart disease
- CLA, or conjugated linoleic acid helps reduce belly fat, protects against cancer and encourages muscle growth
- Vitamin A to help maintain thyroid, adrenal and cardiovascular health
- Vitamin K2 to support bone density and possibly reverse arterial calcification
- Vitamin A, D and E, all key anti-oxidants that are essential to good health
- key health supporting nutrients and minerals including lecithin, selenium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iodine and more
Where do I find grassfed butter?
The best source of grassfed butter is always local. Ask around then chat with the dairy farmer. I found mine through a local organic cheese producer at our farmer’s market. If that fails, this is always my backup as it is grassfed and pastured.
Add that to all the benefits that come with the beautiful marriage between matcha and chai and you’ve got a cup of bliss! So, brew this up and pour it in a really pretty mug. Inhale. Exhale. Enjoy!
**Before choosing a brand of tea, read: Think before you drink this tea where I name the brands of tea that you should and shouldn’t drink. You may just be surprised by the brands on the ‘do not drink‘ list!
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp or to taste sucanat sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut cream (I just scrape a little off the top of this coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter
- Steep tea with hot water for recommended amount of time (usually 3 mins).
- To a blender add brewed tea and rest of ingredients and pulse until frothy.
- Pour and enjoy! 🙂