DIY Healthy Gourmet Marshmallows
As a real foodie, sometimes you have to let some ‘food’ from your former life go. I am happy to report that
THIS is not one of those times!
All together now: marshmallows! marshmallows! marshmallows! YAY! These little soft, squishy, melt in your mouth chunks of heaven make great additions to your homemade hot chocolate as well as yummy gifts.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into your mixer bowl with 3 tbsp of gelatin. Leave to absorb without stirring.
- Meanwhile secure candy thermometer to medium pot and pour in the other 1/2 cup of water and honey. Stir over med-high heat.
- Stop stirring and leave until temperature reaches 230'F. This may take longer than you imagine. *Do not allow temperature to surpass 230'*
- Once temperature has been reached turn mixer on low and slowly pour hot liquid into gelatin mixture. Gradually increase to high speed and allow to mix for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- After that amount of time it will form stiff peaks. *It is during this mixing stage that you can add flavor extract, coloring of choice.
- While mixer is whipping up fluffy goodness, line a 9x11 baking dish with parchment paper and sprinkle your choice of either toasted coconut or arrowroot on bottom (be generous).
- Once stiff peaks have formed in mixer bowl, use a spatula and methodically scrape the fluff into the baking dish.
- Working quickly, sprinkle your choice of topping (same as bottom) onto top so that you can flatten the fluff into a uniform thickness without it sticking to your fingers.
- Once complete, place into refrigerator for 3-4 hours to set.
- Once time has elapsed, lift marshmallow out of pan using parchment paper and using a large, sharp knife, cut to desired shapes. You may have to roll the cut sides into extra arrowroot or coconut to prevent stickiness.
- If you have chosen to dip into melted chocolate (great choice btw!): melt desired amount of dark chocolate in a double boiler. Dip half of marshmallow into chocolate and allow to set on parchment paper lined dish. Sprinkle with sprinkles, coconut...whatever!
This fluffiness is also shared with: A Life in Balance , Homegrown and Healthy, Our 4 Kiddos, Real Food Forager, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage, Domesblissity, Food Renegade, Not Your Ordinary Recipes
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I NEVER endorse anything that I do not personally use or give to my family.