When was the last time you looked at a package of Jello? If you’re like me, the answer is probably…NEVER! I knew enough not to buy it but I didn’t know how bad it actually is! Don’t take my word for it though, the ingredients go a little something like this:
WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, GELATIN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 0.5% OF ADIPIC ACID AND CITRIC ACID (FOR TARTNESS), SODIUM CITRATE (CONTROLS ACIDITY), RED 40, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. (Kraft Strawberry Jell-o)
Do you know how good gelatin really is for you? It’s great for digestion, reducing inflammation, reduces signs of aging, etc… It truly is amazing and you can read all about its benefits here.
Seriously though, homemade jello is the bomb! It’s both nourishing and super easy…the best part is you literally need 2 ingredients! With school lunch season in full swing, I love making little surprises like this and tucking them into my kids lunches. I can practically hear them cheering ‘mom! mom!’ as they open up their lunch containers. 🙂
Ok. Let’s cut to the chase.
- 2 cups organic fruit juice
- 2 tbsp gelatin - *you may want to use a little less depending on how set you like your jello* (I use this one)
- optional honey
- In a small saucepan, heat the juice over medium heat.
- Once heated, slowly whisk in 2 tbsp of gelatin. *My preference is to twirl it around in the blender for a few secs to fully assimilate the gelatin. If foam forms, gently scoop it off*
- Once gelatin has been assimilated, turn off heat. It is here that you may choose to add some honey, depending on the sweetness that your family prefers. I leave mine as is.
- Pour into containers, moulds, whatever you fancy and place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours to set. For simplicity, I pour mine directly into these