The other day at the Farmer’s Market I watched as a lady picked up a bunch of kale and studied them. She turned to me and told me that she had recently made the decision to give up packaged food because it was not serving her and was wholeheartedly embracing whole foods. With an embarrassed smile she admitted that she had no idea how to even cook kale so that it tasted palatable! My suggestion was simple: BACON! It may seem like that’s my answer to everything, but seriously, bacon and bacon fat with any greens are outstanding! So, to the lovely lady I met at the Farmer’s Market, this one’s for you. 🙂
Eat Your Greens...with Bacon!
Getting your kids (or yourself) to eat more greens, doesn't have to be difficult. This recipe will have everyone clearing their plates! 🙂
Write a review
- 1 bunch of greens (kale, beet greens, collards, chard, whatever!) - washed and chopped
- 3-4 slices of nitrate free bacon - diced
- 2 cloves of garlic - pressed
- a fat of choice (ghee, coconut oil etc...)
- pinch of sea salt
- Turn on stove to medium heat.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, throw down a bit of fat and heat (just enough to lubricate it until the bacon starts to release its own fat)
- Once heated toss in diced bacon being careful not to stir too frequently (you want to give it a chance to really crisp up)
- Once bacon is nice and crisp, remove from pot and put aside, being sure to leave as much of the fat as possible in the pot.
- Return pot to heat and add garlic. Stir around for a couple minutes then add chopped greens.
- Stir everything together, lower the heat and place a lid on the pot.
- Once the greens are cooked (usually about 5 minutes), remove pot from heat and add a pinch of sea salt and bacon.
- Stir thoroughly and serve.
Eat. Play. Love... More https://eatplaylovemore.com/